Saturday, January 03, 2009

2008 Round-up

Well that's a wrap then, I definitely hit a rich vein of form in the second half of the year, with six months consecutive profit and an overall $3,080 in profit for the year, making up for the nearly $600 down in the first 6 months. Looking back on Official Poker Rankings (Full Tilt) reinforces what I felt at the time, that I was on a massive heater for the HILO STTs. I actually cashed in 46% of them in the month, playing 9 seat tables. This was the foundation for the rest of the year and helped me develop my game to the extent that I am now playing O8 and PLO cash games without fear of emptying my poker accounts.

In addition to that I also had some nice MTT results for a small stake player, the best of which came just in time to pay for some Christmas extras (see the last post). I am quite pleased that I managed to win MTTs on 3 different sites, results in both regular, rebuy and knockout tourneys.

At the end of the year I received an email from Sun poker announcing a migration to iPoker, where I would retain the rakeback privileges I had picked up when I first created the account. I stopped playing because I never really adjusted to the Cryptologic structures and games. Not sure why, maybe with another year of learning behind me I would have coped. However, I am quite comfortable with iPoker and proved it to myself by final tabling my first O8 rebuy on New Years Day with a shiny new Sun account. I am also now registered in 9 freerolls over the coming weeks, which means I am going to have to remember how to play Hold Em again. New account name is uncontrolled, say hello if you see me on the tables.

I will split my play mostly on Full Tilt and iPoker, with some small games on Betfair, where I will also try and play the weekly $3k gtd PLO by qualifying through the satellite. At least, while it lasts, I was in a game 2 weeks ago with 5 seats gtd and only 8 runners - and it still started!

Lastly, I have a couple of small aims for 2009, which represent a small improvement on the overall results from 2008. One is to buy a new number plate for my car, cost about £1k. Second is to try and get out to Vegas for a $1500 PLO or O8 event in the WSOP. I have enough air miles to fly there, so reckon could do the whole trip for about $2500 including some spends while I am there. There are a couple of hurdles to overcome here that are not just financial related, like can I persuade my wife that it is a good idea and can I book the flights. But other than that I am planning on making a profit, which is probably more than I was this time last year, when I would have been happy to make anything.

6 comments:

goooooood girl said...

i like your blog......

Small Stakes Poker said...

Happy New Year
gl gl for 09

Paul

Anonymous said...

Great way to turn things around from losing to winning over $3k.

What do you put your success down to? Did you buy any books or join a training site?

I love PLO but must admit I am a big fish when I play it, though it is amazing fun.

BTW, look up Tatta on PokerStars on Sharkscope for what you need to aim for in PLO8 SnG!

GL for 2009

seanb said...

TY pud. My results changed after I listened to a podcast from Bart Hanson, Cash Plays if you look it up on iTunes (think from about April 08). I then also went on a sick heater for most of July and cashed in nearly 50% of the 9-seater STTs I entered. I might have to listen to it again...

In all honesty though, I think the main reason has been practice and using an odds calculator to work out what I did right or wrong on critical hands. There are so many people at the low buy-in levels who do not have a basic grasp of odds at Omaha (which I now do) that you almost cannot fail if you know what the odds are if you flop nut straight on a flush draw board: ~35% if you don't have the flush, can be 65% if you do.

Loading up Poker Tracker was a worthwhile experiment, but I don't think it significantly changed my game. It reinforced what I could already see (high VPIP at low buy-ins == fish). But, when I took too much notice of it during a game it would lead me to make some dodgy plays instead of relying on my ability to read the table.

Lastly, this link dates back to 2006, but is still a pretty interesting starting point: http://www.fullcontactpoker.com/poker-forum/index.php?showtopic=66345

seanb said...

BTW pud, your blogger account does not link back to your Betfair blog very well, I had to edit it to get there.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the rep[ly and the heads up mate. I've sorted out my blogger account to link back to it. God knows why it went like that!