Thursday, June 18, 2009

The Butterfly Effect

Oops, it's half way through June and no summary for May yet. $465 down sums it all up really, mostly on Sun, mostly related to not playing well on cash tables. June has perked up though, with a nice multi-table win in a PLO rebuy for $550. Played it very well, if a little tight, got to the rebuy break with about 4000 chips, added on to take me up to 6k, noticed the leader was on 60k (or 40 buy-ins!). He was still there on the final table and doubled me up to first when I slow played a flopped top set Qs.

Anyway, reason for the title of this post is my further adventures into the 300 chip PLO super turbos. Have played nearly 100 of the 9-seat $7.50 buy-ins and my ROI is getting on for 25%. With chip stacks so short, a single mistake can be magnified and cost you the chance of cashing, or winning. Becoming chip leader is also very important, as it gives you the ability to push all the other stacks around. I played 1 game last night, here is how it went (warning, you will not run this good, ever!)

Hand 1:
Dealt to electric chair [Js 7s Ks Kh] - ooo, nice starting hand, will reraise pre
NeedLuck2day folds
free-dic-u-lust raises to 60 - I will always reraise this with any kind of start hand
lost pension calls 60 - calling just builds the pot for me to raise with
CedarValley calls 60 - see above
Simsas folds
snipes2k1 folds
pokerdegree folds
electric chair raises to 300, and is all in - sometimes this will give you an uncontested pot as weak raisers and limpers will often fold here

free-dic-u-lust calls 240, and is all in
lost pension calls 240, and is all in
CedarValley calls 240, and is all in

- hmmm, not really expecting 3 callers, let's see if we have two AAs out there:

electric chair shows [Js 7s Ks Kh]
free-dic-u-lust shows [5c 8d 8s 5s]
lost pension shows [9c 6c 6h 2h]
CedarValley shows [Ac 4h Qh Qd]

lol, wtf, I am ahead, main worry being the A or Q outs

*** FLOP *** [Jd Th Jh] - yay, top set
*** TURN *** [Jd Th Jh] [8c] - hmm, behind to the str8
*** RIVER *** [Jd Th Jh 8c] [7d] - RIVER!!!!!

electric chair wins the pot (1,230) :) :) :)

This really is the nuts position to be in, 1 hand gone, 3 out, I have quadrupled.

Hands 2-5, folded all, hand 6 was my BB and I got a walk. Hand 7, my SB:

Dealt to electric chair [5s Ac Qh Th] - folded round to me so I obviously raise:
electric chair raises to 120
yves34 raises to 300, and is all in - BB raises all in, just what I wanted
electric chair calls 180
yves34 shows [9s Kc 7d 8h]
electric chair shows [5s Ac Qh Th] - I like my hand, my straight potential is higher and my A my be good if it pairs

*** FLOP *** [5c As Qd]
*** TURN *** [5c As Qd] [Qs]
*** RIVER *** [5c As Qd Qs] [Ad]
yves34 shows a pair of Aces
electric chair shows a full house, Aces full of Queens

Two hands played, two full houses, 5x starting stack.

Hand 8, raise AQQ4 preflop from button and pick up the blinds.
Hand 9 fold
Hand 10 raise AA97 preflop and pick up the blinds
Hand 11 fold
Hand 12 all fold to my BB for another walk

Hand 13
Dealt to electric chair [Jh 6s Jd 4c]
- I got outs
electric chair raises to 120

NeedLuck2day raises to 255, and is all in
electric chair calls 135
NeedLuck2day shows [4h 3d 5c 4d] - LOL, I am so far ahead
electric chair shows [Jh 6s Jd 4c]

*** FLOP *** [Ac Js 4s]
*** TURN *** [Ac Js 4s] [7c]
*** RIVER *** [Ac Js 4s 7c] [As]
NeedLuck2day shows a full house, Fours full of Aces
electric chair shows a full house, Jacks full of Aces
electric chair wins the pot (510)

Oooh, that's gotta hurt, my 3rd boat of the game in only 13 hands

Hand 14, fold
Hand 15
Dealt to electric chair [2s Jc Th Ah]

- I have an Ace and the button, so...
electric chair raises to 175

snipes2k1 raises to 205, and is all in
electric chair calls 30
snipes2k1 shows [Ac Ts As 7c]
electric chair shows [2s Jc Th Ah] - ah, I am in trouble

*** FLOP *** [3h 2d 9h] - I have some outs
*** TURN *** [3h 2d 9h] [4c] - I have more outs
*** RIVER *** [3h 2d 9h 4c] [8h] - Jackpot!

Hand 16 and through the bubble, I lose an all in preflop race:
pokerdegree shows [6s Ad Td As]
electric chair shows [Qh Kc Qs 5s]
*** FLOP *** [Jc 7d Ac]
*** TURN *** [Jc 7d Ac] [9c]
*** RIVER *** [Jc 7d Ac 9c] [Qc]
pokerdegree shows three of a kind, Aces
electric chair shows three of a kind, Queens
pokerdegree wins the pot (630)

Hand 17, I have to fold my probe bet on the flop to a reraise
Dealt to electric chair [Kc Ah 8c 4h]
Simsas folds
pokerdegree calls 25
electric chair raises to 150
pokerdegree calls 100
*** FLOP *** [Qd 6c Qs]
pokerdegree checks
electric chair bets 150
pokerdegree raises to 480, and is all in

Hand 18
Dealt to electric chair [Jc 7d Js Tc]
pokerdegree calls 50
electric chair calls 25 - let's see what happens on the flop and disguise my hand
Simsas checks

*** FLOP *** [6h 2h Jd]
- nice, 1/2 pot bet to see if we have anyone chasing a flush
electric chair bets 75
Simsas folds
pokerdegree calls 75 - we do :)

*** TURN *** [6h 2h Jd] [6s] - time to slow play
electric chair checks
pokerdegree checks
*** RIVER *** [6h 2h Jd 6s] [Jh] - too nice, only option is to value bet and hope for a call
electric chair bets 150
pokerdegree calls 150

Hand 19, fold
Hand 20, walk
Hand 21,22, fold
Hand 23, my BB
Dealt to electric chair [9c Ah Tc 7s]
- I have an Ace, with connected cards in the rest of the hand
Simsas folds
pokerdegree raises to 180
electric chair raises to 300
pokerdegree calls 110, and is all in
electric chair shows [9c Ah Tc 7s]
pokerdegree shows [Qs Th Kd Jc] - I think it is about 50:50 here

*** FLOP *** [5c 4c Qc] - floptastic
*** TURN *** [5c 4c Qc] [Ts] - he has outs
*** RIVER *** [5c 4c Qc Ts] [6h] - held...
electric chair shows a flush, Queen high

6 hands later...
Dealt to electric chair [Kc Kh 7h Ts]
Simsas calls 40
electric chair raises to 240
Simsas raises to 400, and is all in
electric chair calls 160
Simsas shows [4h 7d Tc 5c]
electric chair shows [Kc Kh 7h Ts]
*** FLOP *** [As 6c Jd]
*** TURN *** [As 6c Jd] [8d]
*** RIVER *** [As 6c Jd 8d] [6s]
Simsas shows a pair of Sixes
electric chair shows two pair, Kings and Sixes
electric chair wins the pot (800)

Not every game goes this way, but when you hit a few cards it can be very satisfying. A few tips: get more than starting stack quickly, that way you can put pressure on everyone with a shorter stack than you. Do this by raising preflop. Bet in position when it comes round unopened, almost never call (except when you know that you are hitting the deck and quads are coming). Fold most hands that have been raised before it is your turn to act, (re)raise AAxx, KKxx and QQxx with the intent to get all the chips in.

Looking back at the MTT win, I know that my pre-flop play was improved by playing these short stack games. This meant I was able to get away with some outrageous bluffs at important times, with a short stack. For that reason alone it would be worth playing these if you are at all unsure where you are with your preflop game.

Lastly, have played 3 STTs tonight, cashed in 2, total in for June $465.46, total out in May $465.15 = down-swing reversed.

Going to Duffs Full House tomorrow in Waterlooville for the opening night. New poker club being opened by a couple of posters on the Betfair forum. Hope it works out for them and that they can organize some events when I am not on holiday, see you there if you are going.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi man...I would like to invite you to take a look at poker staking if you want to be staked or stake somebody at any live events or some big buy-in tournaments. This staking community has already some top notch members like Tony G and Erik Seidel. Don't forget that the WCOOP has already been announced. Take a look at the sticky post on my site www.sharkandfishpoker.com for more info

Best Regards